Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Dr. Caroline Graham Austin Ted Talk

So first I would like to start this off with a discussion by Dr. Caroline Graham Austin my professor and the reason I started these posts.

I find her discussion extremely relevant not only because yes we all throughout life struggle with identity and the pursue of living authentically.  But for me it translates to a lot of young adults that go to college or not.  If they do, how to pay, and even as the saying goes (give it the college try) deciding its not for them.  For me this is important because I honestly went to college first just so I could be a ski bum and get some sort of education.  Both my folk's went to college and it made sense to do it because unfortunate now days a Bachelors degree is the equivalent of a GED in the past.  I feel a lot of people think that they are getting a real experience and don't get me wrong teachers like Caroline Graham Austin try their very best.  Succeeding at giving you tools and thought processes  that you will carry throughout your professional career.


 But like how she talked about people watching survival shows just because you show up to class and memorize a few things for a test doesn't mean you've necessarily authentically learned how to apply anything.  I feel that was the point of this these posts.



For me learning in the kitchen just clicks for me it was also the first place that I started defining people by their work habits and its also the place where I go all out.  I like the pressure of getting stuck in the weeds behind the line and having to do things perfectly to catch up.  It also combines most of the things i like about school, history, science, and learning something new every day.  Having an open mind to tasks of the present.  When it comes down to it authentic is always going to fall on you and you alone to define it.

No comments:

Post a Comment