Wednesday, December 14, 2016

You might as well write for yourself

Now days you can't really not know who Anthony Bourdain is from his TV shows to his opinions on other chef's.  I don't agree with everything he has done in his career and from his novel Kitchen Confidential which a lot of us in the culinary world first came to know him echoes the same.  What I respect about the man is that he told you things how it is in the kitchen for a large number of restaurants.  Though the landscape is changing and some of the stardom like effects on the culinary profession are welcomed others are not.  I hate the food network with a passion just like Anthony because it just doesn't feel authentic.  The best tasting food doesn't always look great and this is extremely true in the world of sweets.  I think that's the reason why I like his show parts unknown because he gets to do what every person with a passion for food and travel dream of.  A window into a world of conversations that most of us will either never have the guts or time/ funds.





I live in Montana and anyone can tell you here that there is a variety of personalities in this state.  However, Anthony as he came found people that I would without a doubt call genuine.  The kind of people that do their own thing, don't try to push it on others, and give it to you like it is.  The heart of this state which is do as you please and respect your neighbors rights just as you would hope them to do for you.

In the end I think it all comes down to why he wrote his first book.  He didn't write it to get famous and he sure didn't think a lot of people would be interested in it other then a couple cooks that could relate.  What I'm trying to get at is that he wrote the book for himself and the reason parts unknown is also so successful is for the same reason.  Yes it may be a little selfish and yes self centered but can you really not say the same for anyone else taking a vacation?  The key to being successful is that you have to take something you love to do and find a way to make it profitable Anthony Bourdain has done exactly that made people thank him for it.  So if your going to do anything at least
                                                                                                      be honest with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment