This is something I have wanted to get off my chest since taking classes in heath and nutrition. Supplements like a protein shake, pre-workout, and post-workout all are not better for you then REAL FOOD. I can't help but go back to the idea in the seventies that in the future all food would be in pill form. The idea never made sense to me but for a lot of people I feel that supplements capitalize on that concept.
Alan Thrall's Supplement Stack video below is a sad truth to the manipulation of the health industry for profit. Don't get me wrong there is a benefit to use supplements but that benefit is ease of use and time saved. Most people don't even fit into the category of needing supplement.
Don't even get me started on the Airborn Immune Support Supplements there has been shown no significant evidence tying vitamin C to immune Support. It was created by Victoria Knight-McDowell, a former school teacher from Carmel, California. She began brewing herbal and vitamin cocktails in the early 1990s and selling them in tablet form to local drug stores. Do I really need to explain my skepticism?
In March 4, 2008 -- If you bought Airborne, the popular herbal and vitamin formula originally touted as a cold preventive, you're due for a refund.
The makers of Airborne have agreed to refund money to consumers as part of a $23.3 million settlement of a class-action lawsuit for false advertising. It does not admit wrongdoing or illegal conduct.
Products included are the Airborne Effervescent Health Formula, Airborne On-the-Go, Airborne Power Pixies, Airborne Nighttime, Airborne Jr., Airborne Gummi, and Airborne Seasonal (formerly sold as Airborne Seasonal Relief). http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20080304/cold-remedy-airborne-settles-lawsuit#1
I think this still stems from for some reason people think the FDA has control over supplements, well truth is they tried. Unfortunately supplement companies made an ad campaign I kid you not with Mel Gibson
If you want to learn more about how it all works John Oliver's show Last Week Tonight on Dr. Oz and Nutritional Supplements explain it well.

No comments:
Post a Comment